As we begin a new year it’s the perfect time to pause and reflect on everything the CityCoins community achieved in 2021:
CityCoins: 2021 Recap
- Since being first announced at BTC Miami in June, the CityCoins community has raised $55 million+ for Miami and NYC via CityCoin mining.
- Mayor Francis Suarez made history not once, but twice: First in September by officially accepting the ongoing CityCoins protocol donation, and again in November when he announced his plan to give a BTC dividend to Miami residents, powered by CityCoins proceeds.
- Mayor Eric Adams publicly requested, then welcomed NYCCoin to the Big Apple ahead of officially coming into office on Jan 1, 2022.
Building on CityCoins
CityCoins may be young, but the community is already busy building on the protocol.
Here are some of our favorite community projects from 2021:
- Miami Voice: A MiamiCoin app that allows MIA hodlers to propose ideas and vote on how Miami should spend their funds raised by MiamiCoin. Developed by community member Drew Falkman.
- Denizen: An app that enables coworking spaces to grant access to CityCoin hodlers, starting with Miami. Developed by community member Timothy Carambat.
- MIA Pool: A fully automated, trustless system that allows anyone to mine MIA in a collaborative, mutually beneficial way
Thanks to community member Jamil.btc, CityCoins are being used to mint interesting new NFT projects. A few highlights:
- CityPacks: NFTs with superpowers — CityPacks have a built-in mechanism to fund public school initiatives in the Miami Dade School District.
- CityCoins Collectibles: NFT collections commemorating some of Miami and NYC’s most prominent landmarks.
- Miami Beach & Miami Vice: Two other notable Miami-themed NFT collections
- Memes become movements become markets: 6-of-6 MIA-inspired NFTs from Jack Butcher.
- Check out STXNFT.com to browse more NFTs built on CityCoins and Stacks
Want to build on CityCoins?
Stacks Accelerator recently announced a mentorship-driven track for teams who want to build apps and services on CityCoins to expand state capacity and build a strong foundation for crypto cities.
Recap: Reading & listening
- Listen: The Pull Request: Antonio Garcia Martinez interviewed Balaji Srinivasan and Patrick Stanley about MiamiCoin, NYCCoin, and building crypto civilization on CityCoins. A wide-ranging, must-listen conversation for anyone invested in the ecosystem.
- Watch: MiamiCoin × Art Week: Earlier this month, the community came together in Miami to discuss how NFTs can empower communities and engage residents while improving the quality of life in Miami. Worth watching for anyone interested in building on CityCoins.
- Read: What it means to be a CityCoiner: Recent community blog post on the mission and values that shape the CityCoins community.
- Read: Great Protocol Politics: Great article by Parag Khanna & Balaji Srinivasan on why the 21st century belongs to the Internet — not China, the United States, or Silicon Valley.
- Read: CityCoins, ALEX and Direct Democracy: Defi startup ALEX wrote about how CityCoins is revolutionizing municipal finance, including a detailed comparison with other city fundraising methods like Municipal Bonds.
In case you missed it…
- The Big Idea for CityCoins: Learn more about how CityCoins aim to revolutionize civic engagement.
- Understanding CityCoins Mining: Similar to the Stacks protocol upon which it is built, CityCoins use a Proof of Transfer (PoX) mining process. Read this post to understand how PoX works, differences between stacking and staking, and how mining generates funds for the city.
- Ensuring CityCoins activations are fair: Community post on how the CityCoins protocol ensure fairness and security when activating a city's token
- How to Stack CityCoins: CityCoins are mined and secured by stacking. Read this post to learn exactly how to stack your CityCoins to earn rewards.
- MiamiCoin media highlights: Mayor Suarez on Fox Business, Yahoo Finance, Financial Times, Pomp interviews Mayor Suarez (Best Business show).
- NYCCoin media highlights: Bloomberg, CoinDesk, Barron’s, Economic Times.
Phew, what a year it was. As we start 2022, we’re excited to see how MIA and NYC continue to grow, and welcome more cities to the community as new cities activate their CityCoins!