CityCoins in January, 2022
After an incredible 2021, momentum is building on the CityCoins protocol as:
- Multiple CityCoins projects launch
- Cities begin to hire for their CityCoins
- Applications for Stacks Accelerator close, kicking off new CityCoins projects, products, and businesses in March
New CityCoins apps, products, and tools launch this month. New tracking dashboards for MIA and NYCCoin; XVerse wallet now supports CityCoin and NFT projects powered by CityCoins like Crypto Mayors continue to launch.
Philly expresses interest in CityCoins; Miami hiring for multiple CityCoins roles. Philadelphia CIO Mark Wheeler outlines Philly’s interest in CityCoins while Venture Miami posts job openings to operationalize MiamiCoin with the Miami Government.
CityCoins products and businesses begin building in March. Applications for the Stacks Accelerator CityCoins track closed on January 31st. The Accelerator kicks off in March, awarding funding and offering support to chosen CityCoins-based projects, including mentorship from Balaji Srinivasan, Muneeb Ali, Amanda Cassatt, and more.
The best STX wallet for iOS can now send and receive MIA and NYCCoin; Stacks on Chain launches data dashboards for MIA and NYCCoin; Coinbase lists STX, strengthening the STX ecosystem.
- XVerse wallet now has full support for CityCoins: The XVerse wallet released upgraded support for CityCoins, including the ability to send and receive MIA and NYCCoin.
- MIA and NYCCoin dashboards: Stacks on Chain launched a visual dashboard for tracking a CityCoins’ mining, stacking, usage statistics, and reserve wallet value.
- STX tokens are now listed on Coinbase, making the Stacks ecosystem accessible to more people than ever.
Stacks Accelerator mentors hosted a series of CityCoins-specific Fireside chats in January.
- Fireside chat with Ryan Hoover (founder of Product Hunt) and Preethi Kasireddy (ex-Coinbase, a16z)
- Fireside chat with Jake Brukhman (founder of CoinFund) and Trung Phan (writer & podcaster)
- Fireside with Patrick Stanley (CityCoins community lead) and Kyle Ellicott (Stacks Accelerator)
@Jakeblockchain, host of the Built on Bitcoin podcast, recently interviewed some of the most impactful people in the CityCoins ecosystem:
- Syvita Mining: The team running the largest CityCoins mining pool talk about their vision to fully unlock the potential of Stacks’ Proof-of-Transfer mechanism
- Ken Liao, founder of Secret Key Labs: How the creators of the XVerse Wallet are introducing mobile users to crypto.
- Stacks Foundation: How to fund innovation and empower the builders of tomorrow.
- Miami CIO Mike Sarasti: The Chief Innovation Officer for the world’s first crypto city shares his insights into the future of cities and city governance.
The CityCoins signal
What should you build on CityCoins? Stacks founder Muneeb Ali has some ideas.
“One thing that I love about this project is how community-driven it is. This is a value Bitcoin obviously has, and we have that in the Stacks ecosystem, but NYCCoin and MiamiCoin took it to the next level.”
Voting with your coins! How CityCoins give citizens a voice beyond the ballot box.
“Instead of throwing in with a local candidate who more or less aligns with your beliefs, with CityCoins, you can associate yourself with any city, anywhere. If you like the way your hometown is working, collect and use its CityCoins token to create and show support.”
Miami residents to receive Bitcoin? That’s just one thing CityCoins can do for your city…
“CityCoins benefit city governments directly, and unlock one of the world’s largest untapped marketplaces: city citizens.”
CityCoins in 2021: 6 months, 2 cities, $55MM+, and so much more to come.
- MiamiCoin (MIA) media highlights: Mayor Suarez on Fox Business, Yahoo Finance, Financial Times, Pomp interviews Mayor Suarez (Best Business show).
- NYCCoin (NYC) media highlights: Bloomberg, CoinDesk, Barron’s, Economic Times.
CityCoins cities in the news
Philadelphia CIO Mark Wheeler shared that the city is interested in activating their own CityCoin.
Crypto advocate and Miami Mayor Francis Suarez was inaugurated as the new President of the U.S. Conference of Mayors. He also discussed MiamiCoin with Mark Cuban and Fox Business.
Want to work with the Miami government to operationalize MiamiCoin? Venture Miami is hiring for multiple positions to build utility for MIA. You can apply here →
New York City Mayor Eric Adams began to fulfill his promise to take his first three paychecks in Bitcoin.
“New York is the center of the world, and we want it to be the center of cryptocurrency and other financial innovations,” said Mayor Adams. “Being on the forefront of such innovation will help us create jobs, improve our economy, and continue to be a magnet for talent from all over the globe.”
Join the CityCoins community
Sign up for the CityCoins newsletter below to stay up to date on all the latest cities and projects joining the CityCoins ecosystem.
Want to get more involved in the community? Join the CityCoins Community Discord →